We created a ComicLife! template to curate the photos, and posted my daily logs to Tumblr. As the first week wound to a close, we decided to stretch the experiment over a month, then we extended it until the end of the quarter - a total of 44 school days.
Eight periods per day over 44 days makes for a lot of data points. In order to find meaning in what we was documenting, we classified my activity into five categories:
- Co-teaching: Planning, teaching, assessing, and reflecting
- Makerspace management: Organizing and teaching innovation
- Library administration: Collecting, organizing, preserving resources, plus meetings
- Helping students: One-on-one conferencing and support for learners
- Documenting & communication: Teacher evaluation, newsletters, and social media
- Reader's advisory: Helping the learning community select independent reading materials
The end result follows. we spent nearly 40% of my time co-teaching. Another 12% was spent assisting students individually, and reader's advisory accounted for 6% (we hope to raise this number in the future!). Altogether, 57% of my time was spent on instruction, if you include reader's advisory. Twenty-four percent was spent on library administration and teacher evaluation, excluding makerspace management. The makerspace took up 18% of my time.
Documenting all this without compromising the outcome was probably the biggest challenge. While the photos were taken in real time, the documentation was compiled "off the clock".